Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Main Response- Patrick Campbell- January 25th

Prior to this class I feel I have been somewhat blind to the various struggles and adversities women have endured amidst the battle for equal opportunity and legitimacy in this chauvinistic, patriarchal world. This could be due to the fact that I grew up with four brothers and know sisters and was rarely faced with any type of conversation regarding women’s rights and feminism. These readings have opened up my eyes to the battles women tackle on a day to day basis, including mothers, wives, business women, etc. I do believe that the way women are treated, especially black women, as sex objects, to be vial and crude. There is no excuse for men to take advantage of women under any circumstance. However, that particular argument opened my eyes to the real world that is faced by these women in society.

Ariel Levy’s piece “The Future that Never Happened,” introduces the reader to woman’s activist Susan Brownmiller. From my personal perspective, I see her as conceded and biased. I say this in response to her comments about men. I respect her work ethic and high stature in the society of feminism, however, many of her comments I see as derogatory towards men. Brownmiller puts women on a high standard while bashing men in the same ways that she doesn’t want men to act towards women, which I see as strongly hypocritical. She informs the reader how she wants to change society, when her actions suggest the latter. Furthermore, I say this because she seems to seek ways to put blame on individuals and groups rather than finding out ways to actually change society. Therefore, I believe it is irrational for her to expect a common ground to be met while her take on men yields more separation of the sexes.

All in all, the student movements shown in Echol’s piece, “Reemergence of the Woman,” as well as other female activist practices show true promise to the future of a more feminist world. Society is continuing to change and with equal opportunity for both sexes becoming ever more feasible, a common ground must be met. However, many existing social, political, and economic stereotypes of women hinder the more rapid, abrupt change that is desired by these activists. Although I agree with their intentions, I do disagree with some of their personal opinions towards men by universally expelling their own stereotypes of men. That kind of activity only prolongs the division of the sexes and promotes disparity between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment