Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Patrick Campbell-Mar 29

Patrick Campbell

When Dalla Costa expresses her take on the “dishwasher,” on also has to take into account a family’s financial situation. Although the husband says a “dishwasher is unnecessary’” how are we the reader suppose to believe that some of his explanation for saying this has to do with a bad financial situation. This might seem easy to say, but, in regards to a husband saying it is “unnecessary” and suggesting that he is fully able to purchase a dishwasher, however he neglects his wife’s plea for one. Is it not fundamental to say that it is the wife’s fault for choosing a husband with bad character issues especially regarding her needs? All in all, the message I am trying to send here is that her statement is not universal, although she makes numerous points which could be applied to the majority of women.

A day does not go by, when I am living at home, that I do not hear my mother say, “I am NOT your maid, clean up after yourself!” Following that I always use-to say “ok settle down I do it.” However, now that I am the ‘Community Leader as appointed by Residential Life, of my household,” I am consistently being reminded as to how furious my mother could and should have been with me. Day in and day out I am cleaning dishes, floors, cabinets, and it goes on and on. I constantly hear people say, “it is not my stuff, I clean up after myself.” Like my mother I am constantly saying, “If you see it pick it up, it isn’t mine either but I am cleaning it, aren’t I?” In other words, what I am trying to expel here is that I agree with Shanshan that someone should not have to ask or plea for help, someone should see the situation and always lend a hand. Especially because through personal experience I see that another hand could cut the time in half or more. It is called common courtesy and common decency.

No comments:

Post a Comment