Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Short Response for Mar/ 8th

After reading the document on “Same Sex Marriage FAQ” I have learned a lot that about how much gays and lesbians have lost their human rights when being in a relationship with a person of the same sex. I find it quite disgusting that individuals in the United States could be refused at a hospital visitation to while attempting to visit their significant other. To me this doesn’t make any sense. The person who is being hospitalized would obviously want their significant other to be there and support them, why do these institutions have the right or power to reject another person from seeing someone, especially in a time of need? I find all the lack of benefits also pretty outrageous. I would agree with both Ettelbrick and Shanshan’s post that allowing same sex marriages would not solve many of the issues that have evolved today. I also agree that accepting gay and lesbian marriages will not free these people because the stigmas against them in society will always be present because these relationships are deviant to the so called norm.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda raises a good point that it doesn’t seem just for institutions to deny a person from seeing his or her significant other in a time of need. It is very concerning to me that there are such great limitations on the benefits that same-sex couples can receive compared to heterosexual married couples. Along with the lack of visitation rights that Amanda brought up, same-sex couples are also denied social security benefits and things such as family leave. I was shocked to hear about all the ways that same-sex couples are discriminated against. I was unaware of the fact that these benefits only covered heterosexual couples. In my opinion, this discrimination is completely unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete