Monday, February 28, 2011

Main Post: Mar/1

Susan Douglas never seems to disappoint me. I really enjoyed reading her “Lean and Mean” chapter in Enlightened Sexism. What also was very interesting was the fact that I could relate stuff that she talked about in this chapter to my everyday life experiences. It is funny how society has made up this version of what a perfect female figure should look like, when in fact one barely exist nor are the characteristics feasible (in a natural state). What I mean by this is sure girls can become anorexic or bulimic and get plastic surgery done to fill a 38D cup but this is one too expensive and causes mental harm. After reading this chapter I would argue that the Barbie figure doll plays a huge role in “brainwashing” girls into thinking they need to look like this image. Girls in their young ages are playing will dolls that have the beyond perfect body that fit into size zero clothing but also fill a D cup bra. Thinking about it, you think these women would not be able to stand up because they would be top heavy. It is outrageous the amount of cosmetic surgeries that have increased throughout the years. Douglas pointed out that in 1992 only 32,000 people got breast implants when in 2004, 247,000 people had breast implants. Of course we can blame no one other than the media because the images that we have seen at the turn of the 21st century are those women that have gained their power through having a slim, young, hot body. We see characters like Cuddy the boss in House and female forensic researchers on CSI who constantly flash cleavage in an atmosphere that it is not normally being flashed. When Douglas began to talk about this “Hotness Olymipics” and this aspect of female-on-female bullying I began thinking about instances in my life where I have either took place in this behaviour or have been a witness or even a victim. Interstingly enough I came across this photo and song remake that one of my friends on facebook posted online. This picture is basically of Rhianna the singer but it has been photo shopped to make her look fat. I was disgusted at this image when I saw it, and even more surprised when I found that it was a female that posted this image along with the new lyrics. The person that posted this image is not the skinniest or in the best of shape herself. Then looking at all the comments that were posted I found, to my surprise nothing but females commenting and making jokes. There were no comments made by any males. I find it sad that some females feel the need to put down others, or ultimately make up this lie to make them feel better about themselves. Women need to become more confident in themselves and their image for the sake of their own lives and the lives of other women. If everyone was happy with who they are, then no one would feel the need to bash others etc etc. Here is the picture and the lyrics I found:

"Oh na na, I love to bake. Oh na na, Feed me cake.Oh na na, watch my belly shake, belly shake, belly shake. Yeah, I heard you good with them chopsticks,Yeah you know food to mouth.The price of a #9 is 8 something, right?Cuz I’ve been tryina order out awhhh.Good food, white wine, awh.I eat a lot in the night time, yeah, okay away we go,I heard about your food on the radiooooo, get a plate."

No comments:

Post a Comment