Monday, February 28, 2011

I'm a Barbie Girl-Patrick Campbell

Patrick Campbell

Personally the required readings for today involved many scenarios in which I completely do not relate. Growing up I played with action figures and was into the Power Rangers and Dragonball Z, I never aimed any attention to the Barbie Doll which is fundamental considering I am a guy. Therefore, the issues brought about in Susan Douglas’s piece regarding the Barbie Doll involving its impact on young girls was nothing I have ever witnessed before. Little girls worrying about their bra sizes seemed to be a bit of reach for me because due to their young age I am pretty sure the girls in focus did not have any boobs to begin with. Following the rest of her piece, I was able to determine that this doll must have had a large impact of what girls think about themselves and what they want to be perceived as while they grow and mature.

After noticing the cartoons and objects that I focused on when I was a toddler, I realized that the Barbie Doll was the only figure that girls were able to relate to during their young years of maturity. I personally believe that this is a fault in the system of youth education and focus. In other words, another figure should be available to young girls to relate to and try to impersonate. There was never a doll made that appeared to show women’s strength besides those which exude sexuality in women. Therefore, it is rationale to believe that the Barbie Doll was responsible for the “brainwashing” of young women, which Amanda pointed out in her main post.

P.S. nice rap Amanda

Plastic Girls in a Plastic World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmC40aM8Bhc

No comments:

Post a Comment