Thursday, February 24, 2011

Short post feb24

Certainly, in today's society we instantly assume that others are heterosexual by default, often without thinking it twice.  As kids, we grow up learning at school that girls wear skirts and boys wear pants. In middle school, it was expected that if girl was "swept off her feet" it was naturally because of a male crush and during senior prom, the norm was to be a heterosexual couple, so on and so forth. The idea of compulsory heterosexuality can strike some people's nerves as being too irrational. These are the people I hear who argue that heterosexuality is the norm because that's the way for reproduction to occur. It is wasn't set this way, homo sapiens would be non-existant by now! Although their argument sound fair, to think that heterosexuality in  the only way to go would be missing the point entirely. As Rich suggests, compulsory heterosexuality suggest that people might not be fully experiencing or fulfilling their desires. When I think about that, I find myself in a state of unease because the whole theory somehow  implies that my feelings, all which I have experienced and felt so far, have been sort of " socially programmed"  and dictated by a "socially accepted framework"  rather than by my own consciousness. On the other hand, this should not surprise me because I should have realized that society is closely interrelated with the individual. I guess this comes back to the one of Fausto's point: nature creates a map, but nurture is the compass that guides us around that map. So,after taking the time to briefly evaluate my life and relationships, I  realized how much compulsory heterosexuality has affected me. For instance, there has always been social pressure from my family and peers to date, not only a straight guy but also one who is not outside my race.

No comments:

Post a Comment